A popular short Peru vacation that explores the region of Cusco and all the best highlights of the Inca Civilization. An affordable package tour that includes quality hotels and first class services.
Our amazing tour guides will lead you throughout the ancient city, wonder by wonder – special for your own private group! You will learn about ceremonies, how people lived, and how they connected with Pacha Mama – or “Mother Earth”. Our local guide will give you inside information passed down from his ancestors so that you will get the real story of what happened here.
Machu Picchu is tangible evidence of the urban Inca Empire at the peak of its power and achievement—a citadel of cut stone fit together without mortar so tightly that its cracks still can’t be penetrated by a knife blade. It stands 2,430 m above sea-level, in the middle of a tropical mountain forest, in an extraordinarily beautiful setting. It was probably the most amazing urban creation of the Inca Empire at its height; its giant walls, terraces and ramps seem as if they have been cut naturally in the continuous rock escarpments. The natural setting, on the eastern slopes of the Andes, encompasses the upper Amazon basin with its rich diversity of fauna. It is situated on a mountain ridge above the Sacred Valley which is 80 kilometers (50 mi) northwest of Cusco and through which the Urubamba River flows. No wonder it is one of the New Wonders of the World!
The complex of palaces and plazas, temples and homes may have been built as a ceremonial site, a military stronghold, or a retreat for ruling elites—its dramatic location is certainly well suited for any of those purposes. The ruins lie on a high ridge, surrounded on three sides by the windy, turbulent Urubamba River some 2,000 feet (610 meters) below.
The Inca’s achievements and skills are all the more impressive in light of the knowledge they lacked. When Machu Picchu was built some 500 years ago the Inca had no iron, no steel, and no wheels. Their tremendous effort apparently benefited relatively few people—some experts maintain that fewer than a thousand individuals lived here
Machu Picchu was built in the classical Inca style, with polished dry-stone walls. Its three primary structures are the Inti Watana, the Temple of the Sun, and the Room of the Three Windows, of which your tour will visit all three – and plenty more!
You will have a full guided tour by your English speaking guide. After that you will have plenty of time on your own to explore and enjoy Machu Picchu, and discover the wonders of the ancient city yourself!
You will also have the opportunity to choose to go rafting on the wild Willkamayu River – a unique once in a lifetime experience on this ‘sacred river’ in Quechua! Enjoy the sites and sounds – and thrills! – of your group riding the waves.
- Day 1: Arrive in Lima
- Day 2: Lima – Cusco – Ollantaytambo
- Day 3: Rafting or Horseback Riding, Biking, or Shopping – YOUR CHOICE! + Ollantaytambo Ruins
- Day 4: Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu
- Day 5: Machu Picchu Archeaological site Full Day
- Day 6: Cusco City Tour – Fly to Lima
- Day 7: Arrive Home
Day 1 Arrive in Lima
Pick up from airport and transfer to hotel.
Day 2 Lima – Cusco – Ollantaytambo
- Morning pick up from hotel after breakfast and transfer to airport.
- Fly to the Inca capital city of Cusco.
- Pick up from the airport and transfer to hotel in Ollantaytambo.
- Exchange currency and learn about the day’s activities.
- Delicious lunch provided.
- Rest at the hotel.
- Welcoming ceremony in the afternoon at the hotel with Guide.
- Dinner on your own.
- Note: Ollantaytambo is lower than Cusco which is why we begin here to ease your acclimation to the altitude. For your convenience, we provide water and energy bars for daily consumption.
Day 3 Rafting Willkamayu River
- Breakfast at the hotel starting at 6:00 a.m.
- Pickup at 9:00 a.m. and drive to the river (approximately 15 minutes).
- View Inca walls and beautiful sacred sites along the river.
- While rafting, visit a beautiful Inca bridge, an Inca wall at river’s edge, look at the rocky mountains beyond, see many birds on the way, admire the rapids in the river, and enjoy nature. (Note: horseback riding, hiking, mountain biking or shopping are other options offered instead of rafting).
- Picnic lunch provided.
- Spend the afternoon exploring the ruins at Ollantaytambo.
- Return to the hotel for dinner on your own.
Day 4 Moray Archaeological Site/Salt Mines to Machu Picchu Town
- Breakfast starting at 6:00 a.m.
- Train to Machu Picchu in the afternoon after visiting Moray and the salt mines, specific time to be arranged.
- Arrive at the afternoon to Machu Picchu town (Aguas Calientes).
- Drop luggage at the hotel.
- Take a nature walk along the river and see spectacular birds and flowers, Mandor Waterfall. This walk along the Sacred River takes about 2 hours round trip.
- Return to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town).
- Dinner on your own.
Day 5 Machu Picchu ruins full day
- Breakfast starting at 4:30 a.m.
- Early bus to Machu Picchu leaving around 5:30 a.m. to avoid the crowds and to see the sun illuminating the walls of this sacred and magical place.
- Explore the ruins for about 4 hours.
- Lunch at Machu Picchu.
- Afternoon train Back to Ollantaytambo and then to your hotel in Cusco.
Day 6 Cusco City Tour
- Breakfast at the hotel starting at 6:00 a.m.
- Morning walk starting at 9:00 a.m. We will see the 12 square stones at Inca Roca Palace in Cusco. We will also visit the Cathedral and the Temple of the Sun.
- Also visit to Sacsayhuaman Temple, Tambomachay, and Qenqo, famous sites around Cusco.
- Lunch on the main square at a traditional Peruvian restaurant.
- Return to hotel.
- Transfer to airport (time depends on your flight).
- Depart for Lima – Home
Day 7 Lima – Home
- Arrive home.
- Internal airfares and airport taxes.
- International airfares (w/AIRFARE package)
- Private ground transportation.
- All breakfasts and lunches.
- Farewell dinner.
- English Speaking Guide.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley and Cusco.
- Train fares.
- Water and energy bars daily.
- Bread and Hot Chocolate to share with the children.
Does Not Include:
- International airfares (in LAND ONLY package)
- Extra beverages.
- Gratuities (bellmen, waiters, guide, drivers)
What to BRING:
- Hiking boots, comfortable walking shoes and sturdy sandals
- Waterproof Jacket and pants
- Thermal clothing for rafting
- Sleeping bag for trekking (optional)
- Camera and extra batteries and memory cards
- Flash light
- 220/ 110V (plug) adaptor
- Insect repellent
- Sun block, sunglasses, hat
- Bottle for water
- Some school supplies to share with the children while visiting rural mountain communities
$1,175 USD per person LAND ONLY
$1,675 USD per person LAND + AIR from Miami (other Departure Cities available)